Sunday, December 2, 2012

Week 17 - November 26, 2012 - 4 Months!!!


Only 20 more to go, huh?

So, today, on P-day, we went to this place called San Juan De Dios and it was nuts!!! Everything there is literally stolen from other stores!!  It was like those crazy flea markets where people are just yelling at you to buy their stuff... and it didn´t help that I couldn´t understand their crazy fast spanish!!  For those of you that aren't familiar with missionary lingo, 'P-day' is my 'Personal Day' where I do my laundry, grocery shopping, clean the apartment and check emails.  It's one of my favorite days because I get to read all of your emails!

My Thanksgiving wasn't so great.  On Wednesday we had a lesson with Rosario and she is really struggling with her cigarettes. We told her that we would fast and pray for her if she promised to not have a cigarette. She agreed, so instead of feasting or having beef jerky for thanksgiving I had nothing!  But it was for a better cause, right? I also fasted for Carlee and her soccer team... looks like I wasn´t so worthy that day because Rosario smoked 3 cigarettes and Carlee´s team lost :/

Well, Friday we had Donaldo´s baptism and that was pretty cool. We always seem to have trials when it comes to baptism... they never just work out as we planned haha!! So we didn´t have clothing his size (he's 9 years old), so we asked the other elders that live close to us to bring some, it turns out it was size 34/32!!! Are you kidding me?! That is too big for me!! haha  We ended up making it work but when Donaldo looked in the font and saw that it was full of water, he was scared and didn´t want to be baptized anymore. We coaxed him into the water and he thought it wasn't so bad.

Before Donaldo´s baptism on Friday, Elder Silos and I ate at a member's house. We had chicken, spaghetti, and salad.  The chicken had some sort of infection, they cleaned the salad with bad water, and they used about a gallon of butter for the spaghetti. Anyways, Elder Silos woke up in the middle of the night and asked if I could give him a blessing. I then stayed up with him for a while because his body was in a lot of pain and he couldn´t feel his hands and legs!! It was pretty scary!

We called Sister Camarillo in the morning to see what to do and she told us to call the mission doctor. He prescribed some pills to Elder Silos. We went and picked them up and on the way back I was feeling super weak and I almost passed out. I was feeling the same symptoms that Elder Silos had.  When he started to feel a little better it was time to go teach. I was feeling super sick but I decided to suck it up and go teach! Not a good idea... I fell asleep in a lesson!!!  Luckily no one realized except for me but it was awful!!

I ended up with a really high fever! I was feeling super hot (temperature and looks ;) haha) so when we got to the house later that night I decided to put tons of layers on and sleep with a sweatshirt and my two pairs of sweatpants. My mommy taught me that when I have a fever I need to sleep with layers and sweat it out... well it turns out my mom is a wise woman... I felt good in the morning but Elder Silos was still feeling terrible!! He hasn´t eaten food since FRIDAY!!! The doctors told him to just have liquids! Crazy!!

Well we have another baptism set for this Friday so we´re looking forward to that!! I am working my butt off every day and there are days that I want to come home and times that I question what I am doing out here but I KNOW that this is where I need to be! I am going through some CRAZY experiences but I know that this is preparing me for the rest of my life. I like what dad said to me:  ¨If nothing else, do this for your future wife and kids.¨  I am working so hard and I know that there is no better work to do than a mission. 

I love you all and I hope you all have an awesome week!!

Love,
Elder Mike Payne

No comments:

Post a Comment